Thursday, December 20, 2012

Surprise! Cookies

This month's sourdough surprise was to make cookies.  Any kind of cookies.  Yum.  But here it the thing.  I am kinda lazy...  As much as I love cookies, making them can be a bit of a hassle.  Add to that the inevitable nap-less days for the girls, and it really doesn't make sense to me to keep having to open the oven and deal with multiple hot trays.  So when I want cookies, I make cookie bars instead.  One pan, one trip into the oven, it is just easier in my little head. 
The hardest part of the process was choosing a recipe.  Yes, I would have liked to have made a lot of different types of cookies, but I just knew that wasn't going to be in the cards.  But there were so many to choose from!  My sourdough loving friends put together a Pinterest board with bunches of suggestions, and they all looked and sounded really good.  I decided to combine a few of the recipes, then add a little of my own insanity to the mix.  I created sourdough oatmeal chocolate-chocolate chip cookie bars  Quite a mouthful to say, but REALLY good!
The dough came together really easily.  I mean, all I had to do was mix everything together...!
Right from the bowl into the pan, then bake away:
I kinda liked how the oatmeal showed through.  It almost made this into health food, right?  Or at least an acceptable breakfast...
Cut into squares:
Totally yummy.  I can't wait to try some more of theses!
I hope you had fun sourdough-ing it up this month!  Remember to link up so you can show off, too!!


6 comments:

  1. Mmmm, cookie bars for breakfast - that's totally OK with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job, Ruth!! I agree about cookie bars, sometimes they are just easier!! I love that you added double the chocolate! Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, yeah - totally breakfast worthy :) They look YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oatmeal has fiber. Oatmeal cookies are totally a health food. At least, that's what I tell myself when I want to eat two or three of them.

    ReplyDelete