Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Daring to do it: Twelve Days of Cookies

I love desserts, as you might have noticed.  This month's challenge was a great one to expand my repertoire of sweet treats!

Holiday season is the time for sharing and Peta of Peta Eats is sharing a dozen cookies, some classics and some of her own, from all over the world with us.

Now, I am not a big one for Christmas cookies.  No big surprise there, huh...  In that sense, it was actually kin of hard to motivate myself to move on this challenge.  Holiday cookies just aren't my thing.  But desserts are.  And it turned out that this was the perfect time for new ones. 
Growing up, we didn't do the traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  I mean, we did for a while, but there was a lot of leftover turkey not being enjoyed, so we decided to make our own tradition.  Enter the all-dessert Thanksgiving!  Yes, we d "real" food first, but the Thanksgiving part is all desserts.  I'll show you our "turkey" a little later.  But first the cookies.
Peta gave us twelve different recipes to choose from.  (Get it?  Twelve days, twelve cookies...)  I showed the lite to Hubby and let him choose the ones he was most interested in.  He chose three.  I was lazy.  I only made two.
Foaming Milk Cookies:
Dry ingredients - flour and sugar:
Wet ingredients - margarine melted in soy milk:
The foam - baking soda dissolved in water:
Mix it all together:
I froze the dough in logs, then sliced them to bake:

The baked cookies:
These cookies were very light.  I really liked them.  My family seemed to think they would be helped with some chocolate drizzled on top.  I might try adding some vanilla next time I make them.  But they will be made again.  I think they are really good.
 
Chocolate and Caramel Turtle Bars:
Turtles are usually made with pecans.  I didn't have any.  I used almonds...
The base - flour, brown sugar and melted margarine:
The caramel.  Need I say more?
And here is where my camera battery died.  There should be pictures of the crushed almonds, the chocolate, etc.  Oops.
The cooling bars:
The final product:
These were so good.  I mean, I made a half batch for our "feast" and there were only three bars left at the end of the day.  So good that Hubby asked me to make them again the next day.  Which I did.  Except the second time I burned the caramel, so the batch was no good. But still!  These are going to be a regular in our house, I can just tell!
 
In addition to at least one of they twelve challenge recipes, Peta wanted the Bakers to also make another "celebration sweet."  So here is our family's favorite Thanksgiving tradition:
(Sorry it is sideways...)  We love our turkey cake!  And Little Girl had a BLAST decorating it!
 
Thank you, Peta, for a fun filled challenge.  And thank you for sharing some of your favorite recipes with us!
Take a look here if you want to see what the other Bakers made this month.  Just be prepared to drool!!

7 comments:

  1. Your all-dessert tradition sounds very fun :-)
    Those turtle cookies WERE amazing and I love the look of the foaming milk cookies. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. What delicious looking cookies you made! The turkey cake is super cute - she must have has a blast with all those sprinkles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turtle bars look so tempting! Turkey cake is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dessert Thanksgiving should be its own holiday. I would so be on board with celebrating that! The turtle bars with almonds remind me of almond roca - sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two recipes isn't lazy! Looks like a lot of work, but a lot of payoff. :) Love the turkey cake, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cookies look great and the tradition of all dessert Thanksgiving sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making your own traditions instead of trying to do what everyone else is doing.
    That turkey cake is just brilliant
    I have been really curious about the foaming cookies and very tempted by the turtle bars.. I need to try them both soon!

    ReplyDelete