Thursday, January 7, 2010

While I am on the topic of dessert...

One of my daily haunts on this here web is foodgawker.com. Love it.
So today, as I do most days, I came across something that looked REALLY yummy. Now, usually I look, drool, and move on. But for some reason this made me want to make it. This delectable treat is a Cranberry-Lemon Chocolate Tart, found at The Ceramic Canvas. But there were a few minor details that I needed to work out.
1) I don't have a tart pan, so I can't truly make a "tart"
2) I don't have any lemons
So while I am sitting here saying that this is the recipe I want to make, I know that there is no way that I can actually make this recipe... What's a Mommy to do? Time to improvise!
I made a variation of my usual pie crust (flour, salt, sugar, vegetable shortening and cold water), using more sugar and adding cocoa powder. Blind baked that. Made a cranberry "sauce" of cranberries, brown sugar (LOVE brown sugar!), white sugar, water and orange juice. And instead of lemon, I made a home-made vanilla pudding. So we have chocolate crust, a cranberry layer, vanilla pudding (made with a vanilla bean!), and a little extra cranberry on top. And I am hoping to find a way to add a little more chocolate to the top, for taste and looks... Chocolate shavings? I'll see if my vegetable peeler is up for the job...
I'll let you know how it tastes once it has had the chance to set... So excited! And thanks, Ceramic Canvas and foodgawker!!

The final product:

No comments:

Post a Comment