Tuesday, January 19, 2010

When life gives you apples, make applesauce!!




One of the best parts of having Little Girl eating "real" food is that we are now much more conscientious about having fresh fruits and vegetables on hand. I had decided to make my own baby food for this reason, as well as because I thought it would be fun... For the most part, though, she is much more interested in eating the actual foods than purees. Which is a lot of fun, but sometimes had to judge how much she is eating. Well, I since she likes apples, I decided to make her some applesauce. If I make it, I can make sure there are still some chunks in there, which she should like, and I can also be sure there is no added sugars, preservative, flavors, etc.





I started with two red delicious apples and two yellow delicious apples (I would have called them golden delicious, but the sign at the produce store said yellow...). Even as someone who thought for the longest time that she didn't like fruit, these looked good to me! The hardest part of making applesauce is cutting up the apples. Pealing them, coring them, then dicing them into small pieces. I know people who have those nifty peeler-corer-slicer machines, and that might help, but to me that is just one more thing to wash. So I peel and chop by hand.



Usually when I make applesauce I add lemon juice (if I have it), brown sugar and cinnamon. But this time I wanted it plain. So it was just apples and water in the pot. Brought it to a boil, then let it simmer. I wish I could say there was some sort of trick, but that is it! Once the apples were soft, I pulled out my potato masher (which I honestly think has only mashed potatoes a couple of times!) and went to town! Isn't it nice when the simple things in life can make you happy?

The result is a very pretty sauce that the whole fmaily can enjoy! Little Girl will get hers straight up, but I am pretty sure that Mommy and Daddy will be adding some brown sugar and cinnamon... But maybe not...!

No comments:

Post a Comment